Over the past several months, Disney Cruise Line has give us an all-access pass to the making of “Tangled: The Musical,” with behind-the-scenes looks into the creation of music, costumes, sets, choreography and puppetry.
There is so much to look forward to when the show debuts aboard the Disney Magic, so we’ve rounded up our top seven details to look (and listen!) for when you see it for the first time:
1. Bavarian inspiration: Everything from set designs to costumes to choreography was inspired in some way by the sights, sounds and heritage of early German culture.
2. Flowers: Rapunzel’s story begins with a magical flower, but many more have been “planted” in the show’s design. Look for more than 200 physical flowers—plus dozens of others that have been drawn, painted, carved and sewn—in scenic elements, costumes and even Rapunzel’s hair!
3. Immersive moments: The creative team designed the show to totally immerse you in the story as characters interact with the audience; scenes spill over the stage and lanterns float overhead.
4. The guitar: Legendary composer Alan Menken’s score was inspired by folk rock music, so listen closely to hear undertones of the guitar thread throughout the show. You may even see a character strumming away!
5. Glowing scenic elements: A magical flower, Rapunzel’s hair, floating lanterns, burning candles and glowing murals … There are definitely a lot of bright spots to see in this show!
6. Organic choreography: Choreographer Connor Gallagher developed each dance number to feel natural and folksy, focusing on loose movements, lower centers of gravity and personal touches by each character.
7. Nods to the movie: Of course, this is still the story of Rapunzel’s grand adventure, so you’ll see and hear many of your favorite characters, scenes, songs and quotes.